|Dishes||Draniki (Potato Latke), Borscht|
|Population||9, 491, 446 (93rd)|
|Land mass||207, 595 km2 (84th)|
|Religions||no official, but primarily orthodox Christianity|
FOOD FOR THOUGHT
Lockdown grub-trott number 4 – Belarus! We kept it simple and went for the national dish Draniki, which is a fried potato cake, and Borscht, which is a delicious beetroot soup. Both of these dishes are comforting and so tasty, cheap and easy to make. Lets jump right in!
Draniki (Potato Latke) *vegan
- 6 large potatoes, peeled + grated
- 1 large onion, grated
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- vegetable oil for frying
- *optional can add 1 egg to the mix, in order to help it bind a bit
TO SERVE *optional
- sour cream
- crispy, salty bacon bits
- Peel and grate the potatoes. Place grated pieces in a bowl of water.
- When all of the potatoes have soaked, drain the excess water through a dish-cloth or muslin.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients into the potatoes. Take around 3 tbsp of mixture and form a flattened patty shape.
- Heat the veg oil on the stove in a heavy bottomed pan. When oil is hot enough, add the patty, flatten with a spatula, and fry until brown. Flip and fry until the other side is brown.
- Drain on paper towel to remove excess oil. Repeat!
- Apple sauce – cook chopped apples and blend to smooth
- Bacon bits – fry streaky bacon and cop into bits.
- Serve with sour cream or apple sauce. Enjoy!
Borscht (Beetroot soup) *vegan
- 3 medium beetroots, sliced
- 2 large potatoes, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 large chopped tomatoes
- 1 1/2 ltrs vegan stock, in water
- salt + pepper to taste
- Fry the onion and garlic in vegetable oil, until browned + soft.
- Add the beetroots, carrot and potato to the mix and heat for 3 minutes.
- Then add the vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the tomato and salt + pepper. Cook for a further 20 minutes.
- At this point, you have 2 choices: Let it cool + enjoy OR let it cool, blitz + enjoy! *We went for the second option as Bridget loves smooth soup.
Dziakuj and see you in Belgium! M + B