|Dishes||Belgian Waffles, Belgian Fries, Vegan Meatballs|
|Time||30 mins for waffles, 1 hour for fries, 30 mins for meatballs|
|Rough cost||£5 in total|
|Population||11, 515, 793 (80th)|
|Land mass||30, 899 km2 (136th)|
|Languages||Dutch, French, German|
FOOD FOR THOUGHT
This week was Belgium, a country with a rich and interesting culture, thanks in part to its strategic position in the heart of Europe. It is famous as the land of chocolate, beer, waffles and fries. This is exactly what we needed to keep us going during lock-down. The recipes were really easy, using simple ingredients and were very tasty. No fuss, maximum yum!
p.s. all recipes this week were vegan
Belgian Waffles (vegan)
- 1 1/4 cups (156g) plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp sugar sugar
- 1 1/4 cup (300ml) soy milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- *waffle maker
- Put your waffle machine on to preheat.
- Sift the flour into a bowl and add the baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Then add the soy milk or other non-dairy milk, coconut oil and vanilla and whisk with a hand whisk to remove any lumps. The batter will be quite thin.
- When your waffle maker is heated, use a ladle or just pour out the batter (use as much as recommended according to the waffle maker manufacturer instructions) and close the machine.
- Allow to cook for around 5 minutes until golden and crispy.
- The traditional Belgian way is to eat the waffle plain as a snack. However, we cheated + had our waffles with all the trimmings!
- white potatoes, scrubbed + peeled
- olive oil
- salt + pepper, to taste
- Once the potatoes are prepared, use a sharp knife to cut them into thin fries.
- Coat the fries in olive oil and salt + pepper. Shake tray to evenly coat the fries.
- Cook the fries in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees. After 30 minutes, add some more olive oil to the pan and shake the fries, so as they do not stick.
- Cook until the fries are golden and of desired crispiness!
- Serve with mayonnaise, in the traditional Belgian way.
Belgian Meatballs (vegan)
- 1 pack of vegan meatballs
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp brown sauce
- 1 red fresh chilli, finely chopped
- 3 gloves garlic, finely sliced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- Heat oil in a frying pan and add the garlic, onion and chilli. Fry on a gentle heat for 8 minutes.
- Add all the other ingredients and cook it on a high heat for 5 minutes, stirring it continuously.
- Reduce the heat and cook to thicken for 20 minutes.
- We served with Belgian fries and veg! YUM!
Dank u and see you in Belize, M + B!
#vegan #Belgium #world #global #cuisine #travel