|Dishes||Pudding Chomeur, Vegan Poutine, Tourtiere, Yellow Split-pea soup, Sugar-Shack Brunch|
|Time||1 hour per dish|
|Rough cost||About £20 for all 4 dishes|
|Population||37,971,020 (38th largest)|
|Land mass||9,984,670 km2 (2nd largest)|
FOOD FOR THOUGHT
OH CANADA…Mwara was born and raised in Quebec and we have family over there. So Canada-week was our biggest feast yet! We appealed to our Canadian couzies for suggestions and went all-out.
Pudding Chomeur – a classic dessert traditionally made with heavy cream and maple syrup, but I made a vegan version using brown sugar and water. SO SYRUPY! Vegan poutine – with vegan cashew mozzarella and tofu curds. 10/10 incredible. Yellow split-pea soup – delicious, simple and wholesome. Tourtiere – a warming, flaky meat pie that you can put MAPLE SYRUP on. And to top it off, Canadian Sugar Shack Brunch – an absolute extravaganza of pancakes, bacon, sausages, scrambled eggs and a s*** ton of MAPLE SYRUP. oh yeeeeaaaaaa….
Pudding Chomeur *vegan
- 125g plain flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 big pinch of salt
- 280g brown sugar
- 250ml water
- 2 tsp vegan butter
- 2 tsp vegan butter
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 chia / flaxseed egg
- 80ml plant milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl; set aside.
- Prepare the syrup by combining the brown sugar, water and vegan butter in a saucepan. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 8 minutes.
- Prepare the batter by vegan beating butter in a bowl. Gradually add sugar, then beat in the egg. Then slowly beat in the flour mixture, alternating with milk. Add vanilla. Transfer the cake batter into a (23x13cm) loaf tin.
- Pour the warm syrup on top of cake batter. Bake until the cake is set and the syrup falls the bottom, around 30-40 minutes. *enjoy the syrupy goodness, reminiscent of school-dinner syrup sponge
Vegan Poutine – with vegan mozzarella !
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked in water overnight
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbsp tapioca flour
- 1 tbsp yeast flakes
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 onion
- BISTO (we cheated hehe)
- 10 good-sized potatoes, cut into fries
- Olive oil
- salt + pepper
- Coat the fries well in olive oil and cook in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees C until crisp and golden.
- Make the vegan mozzarella by blitzing all the ingredients in a blender on high until very smooth.
- Pour it into a saucepan on a medium heat and stir it continuously until it thickens (about 5 mins).
- Fry the onion, sliced fine, in some oil, until golden.
- Make the gravy = Bisto, boiling water, fried onions!
- SERVE – basically in whatever way you want. *we also made tofu curds which were yummy too but in our opinion the mozzarella won out!
- 1 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup water
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp dried thyme, crushed
- ¼ tsp ground sage
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- 1 recipe for pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
- In a saucepan, combine beef, onion, garlic, water, salt, thyme, sage, black pepper and cloves. Cook over medium heat until mixture boils; stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low and simmer until meat is cooked, for about 5 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees C.
- Spoon the meat filling into the pie crust. Place the top crust on and pinch edges to seal. Cut slits in top crust so steam can escape. Cover the edges with strips of aluminium foil to prevent burning.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes; remove foil and return to oven. Bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool 10 minutes before slicing. *we had this with the sugar-shack brunch !
Yellow split-pea soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 piece fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 1/4 cups yellow split peas
- 8 cups water, or more if needed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander, to serve
- In a soup pot over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the onion, celery, garlic, ginger, and pepper. Cook, stirring often, for 8 minutes, until the onions are translucent.
- Stir in the turmeric, cumin, and coriander. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the yellow split peas
- Pour in the water, bringing it the boil and stirring in the bay leaf.
- Cover the pot and let the soup simmer gently for 1 1/2 hours, until most of the split peas have fallen apart and are tender, stirring from time-to-time.
- Add in any extra salt and black pepper to taste. Stir to combine.
- SERVE! Garnish with yogurt and fresh coriander. We also made fresh soda-bread.
Sugar-Shack Brunch ! *vegan option inc. (its an easy one)
- sausages (meat / vegan)
- bacon / facon
- scrambled eggs
- LOTS of maple syrup
- vegan pancakes = flour, plant milk, cooked in coconut oil
- orange juice
- fresh coffee
- Make as many fresh pancakes as you desire!
- Cook as much meat / substitute and eggs as you desire!
- Lay it all out on the table with coffee + OJ…
- POUR MAPLE SYRUP IN EVERYTHING + MUNCH!
THANK YOU and see you in the Central African Republic! M + B x