|Dishes||Cubanos (Cuban sandwich), Cuba vegan bowl, Cuba Libres|
|Time||1 hr (+ time for Cuban pork)|
|Population||11, 193, 470 (82nd)|
|Land mass||109, 884 km2 (104th)|
|Religions||Christian 59%, No 23%|
FOOD FOR THOUGHT
Cuba is a nation of archipelagos in the northern Caribbean, just south of Florida in the US. It was colonised by the Spanish in the 15th cent. before passing into American rule, but it gained independence in 1902. Since 1965 and the Castro government, Cuba has remained a communist state. Cuba is a beautiful and prosperous place to live, and has the title of the only country that meets conditions of sustainable development put forward by the WWF.
Its culture is multiethnic, with strong African and Spanish influences. Its music is loved throughout the world, as is its cuisine. Staples ingredients include plantains, black beans, rice, pork and tropical fruit. We went for the classic Cubanos sandwich, Cuba Libres & a ‘Bowl’!
As a family we have a love affair with the Cubanons, which always makes an appearance at gatherings (pre-COVID). These sandwiches are pure deliciousness and a staple of Cuban street food. The cuban bowl is a more westernised dish, however does combine many classic Cuban ingredients together in a healthy, veggie dish. To top it all off – a classic Cuban cocktail!
Stay safe and happy!
Cubanos (+ Cuban pork)
- 4 brioche rolls (Cuban Medianoche rolls if you can!)
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 lb Cuban Roast Pork
- 8 slices sliced ham
- 8 slices Swiss Cheese (Ledameer!)
- Pickle slices
- Classic yellow mustard
Cuban Roast Pork
- 4 pound Pork shoulder roast
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 cup orange juice (not from concentrate)
- 2 lime juiced
- 1 cup minced onion
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 cup olive oil
Cuban Roast Pork
- Blend the garlic, salt and peppercorns into a paste, using a mortar and pestle or a food processor. Stir in sour orange juice, onion and thyme. Let mixture sit for 30 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan until hot. Remove the oil from the heat and quickly whisk the garlic-orange juice mixture until well blended. Let cool before using as a marinade.
- Pierce the pork roast several times all over with a fork or sharp knife. Place it in a roasting pan and pour garlic mixture (save a little for basting while roasting) over pork. Cover and let sit for 3 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Remove lid from the pork and roast for 20 minutes. Reduce temperature to 150 degrees and roast until the meat is soft and you can pull it apart easily with a fork (about 2.30 hours). Remove from the oven and let rest 10 minutes before slicing.
Assembly! (see photos)
- Spread the top and bottom of the bread with butter and mustard.
- Layer up the pickles, followed by the roasted pork, ham, and cheese.
- Turn on your toastier maker (or butter a hot griddle or pan). Place the sandwich in the pan and flatten the sandwich for approximately 3 minutes and then flip to the other side.
- Slice the sandwich diagonally and serve immediately.
Cuban Vegan Bowl
INGREDIENTS (for 1)
- 1/2 cup cooked rice
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1/2 cubed cooked sweet potato (or yams)
- 1 serving of guacamole
- 1 serving of salsa
- handful of plantain chips
- squeeze of lime,
- salt & pepper to taste
- Prepare everything and arrange it in an aesthetically pleasing manner. Squeeze with some lime & season. DIG IN!
- Rum + Coke + Ice + Lime = DONZO!
Muchas Gracias and see you in Cyprus! M + B x