|Dishes||Fassolia Piaz (bean salad), Veggie / Vegan Souvla|
|Land mass||9,251 km2 (162nd)|
|Religions||89% Orthodox Christian|
FOOD FOR THOUGHT
Its the penultimate C – Cyprus! It is the 3rd largest and most populous island in the Med, and lies off the north coast of Egypt & south of Turkey. It is a country with ancient origins in classical Greek and Persian cultures, and was even taken over by Alexander the Great in 333 BC. There exists a divide between Greek and Turkish Cypriots but following the intercommunal conflicts of the mid 20th cent., there now is relative peace between the two groups. However, the Cyprus culture is still a mix-match of these two influences.
A staple food of Cyprus is HALLOUMI! So we cooked this up along with some grilled mushrooms, to replace the grilled meat in the traditional Cypriot Souvla. This a classic lunchtime or street food dish; easy + delicious.
- Greek olives
- Halloumi (we managed to get Cypriot & VEGAN TESCO HALLOUMI), sliced
- Portobello mushrooms, sliced in lengths
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- salt + pepper to taste
- Olive oil for frying
- Pitta breads
- Prepare the mushrooms by frying them with olive oil and garlic until they are soft. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the halloumi for about 3-5 mins on each side, until golden.
- Lay everything out on the table and assemble the Souvla by filling a pitta with hummus, mushrooms and halloumi!
Fassolia Piaz (bean salad) *vegan
- 1 tin white beans (we used haricot)
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 bunch of parsley, chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- A good glug of olive oil (GREEK if poss.!)
- Salt & ground black pepper, to taste
- Prepare all the ingredients and combine them all in a serving dish. YUM!
To go with the meal we also made a classic tomato and cucumber fresh salad.
efcharistó and see you in Czech Republic! M + B x