|Population||5,837,213 (114th largest)|
|Land mass||42,933 km2 (130th largest)|
|Languages||Danish (official), Faroese, Greenlandic, German (recognised regional)|
FOOD FOR THOUGHT
Happy Christmas everyone! We are on the first of the D’s and we did a Danish Xmas Eve celebration. Denmark is the southernmost of the Scandinavian countries with an archipelago of 443 islands. It is bordered by Germany to the south and has autonomy over Greenland and the Faroe Islands. It shares strong cultural and historical ties with the other Scandinavian countries, and is similarly one to the most progressive countries in the world. Its cuisine is highly seasonal and features a lot of meat, fish and veg. We made the classic smørrebrød, which are Danish open sandwiches, beetroot salad and risalamande, which is the classic rice pudding-type dessert ate on Christmas Eve. YUM!
The Danish Xmas Eve started off with some shots of aquavit, before a feast of smørrebrød and the traditional risalamande pudding in which some naughty elves have hidden a whole almond to be found for a prize! We then sang carols around the tree and settled down on the sofa by the fire for some Danish hygge (cosiness!). It was absolutely wonderful and we’re thinking of making it a Christmas tradition! We hope everyone had as best a time as they could. Glædelig jul!
Smørrebrød (vegan options)
- slices of rye bread (as much as you want)
- 1 bunch of chives, finely chopped
- 2 red onions, finely sliced
- Butter / Sunflower spread
- Sliced smoked salmon
- Sliced roast beef / Vegan ham
- Pickled herring
- 2 avocados, mashed with lemon juice
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced
- 5 boiled eggs, chopped
- Vegan mayonnaise
- Vegan creme fraiche
- salt + pepper
- Make the egg salad by mixing chopped eggs with some red onion, chives, mustard, mayo and creme fraiche. Mix it well and then season to taste.
- Lay everything out on your table and get ready!
- There are some rules to smørrebrød; butter and mustard is always spread on first & do not mix proteins. Oh, and start the meal with aqua vit.
- Here are some ideas for combo’s: salmon + cucumber, mashed avocados + tomatoes + onions (vegan), mustard + roast beef / vegan ham (vegan), egg salad, pickled herring + chives + mustard.
- ENJOY (with some aqua vit). Serve also with Danish beetroot salad.
Danish beetroot salad
- 1 jar of pickled beetroot, chopped into small cubes
- 1 apple, chopped into small cubes
- 1 tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp vegan creme fraiche
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- salt + pepper
- Combine all the ingredients together and season to taste .
- Sprinkle with chives and serve with your smørrebrød.
Risalamande *VEGAN (serves 5)
- 125g pudding rice
- 1/4 cup water
- 500 ml almond milk
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup almonds, chopped finely
- 1 whole almond
- 1 can coconut cream / milk
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- COMPOTE: 1 cup cherries, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 lemon juiced
- On a medium heat, bring the rice and the water to a boil. Then add in the milk, sugar and vanilla.
- Stir the mix and lower the heat. Cook for 30 mins, stirring occasionally, until a nice rice pudding-type consistency is achieved.
- Take off the heat and stir in the chopped almonds. Allow the mixture to fully cool down.
- Make the compote by combining all the ingredients and cooking it on a medium-high heat and stir until the sugar is fully dissolved. Allow this to also cool down.
- Using an electric mixer, whip the coconut cream with the icing sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the cream carefully into the cooled rice. KEY: pop 1 single full almond in and mix it in to hide it.
- Serve the Risalamande cool and with a big dollop of cherry compote. Whoever gets the single almond in their own portion wins a special prize!
Tak skal du have and see you in Djibouti! M + B x