|Dishes||Fish in Lomo, Fijian iTaukei Hot-dogs|
|Population||926,276 (161st largest)|
|Land mass||18,274 km2 (151st largest)|
|Languages||Fijian, English, Fiji Hindu|
|Religions||64% Christianity, 28% Hindu|
FOOD FOR THOUGHT
Fiji is an island country in Melansia in the South Pacific, 1000 nautical miles from New Zealand. It is an archipelago of more than 330 islands and more than 500 islets. All Fijian land mass was formed from volcanic activity 150 million years ago.
Fijian cuisine has staples such as cassava, taro and seafood – all in Lolo (coconut cream / milk). For the first of the F’s, Mwara made a fish dish full of Fijian flavours – Fijian fish in loom. Bridget made a Fijian street-food classic – iTaukei hot-dog! The food was delicious, fresh and full of flavour.
Fish in Lomo
- 1 stalk lemongrass, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 4 ripe chopped tomatoes (or 1 can tomatoes)
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 large handful of basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 600g white fish fillets
- TO SERVE: baby spinach, fresh rice, shredded basil
- Heat a large fry-pan on a medium heat.
- Add a quarter of the coconut milk, the lemongrass and chilli and fry it until most of the liquid evaporates and the lemongrass is soft (2-3 minutes). Then stir in the rest of the coconut milk, onion, tomatoes, lemon juice, fish sauce, sugar and basil. Simmer the mix for 5 minutes.
- Prepare the fish and season it with some salt and pepper. Place the fish in the coconut mixture and simmer it for 4 minutes. Then turn the fillets and cook on the other side until they are just cooked.
- To serve, briefly steam the spinach until it is just wilted and place on top of some fresh rice with a generous portion of fish and coconut sauce. Top with the chopped basil and dig in!
Fijian iTaukei hot-dogs *vegan
- Hot-dogs (we used tofu weiners), prepared according to packet instructions
- Hot-dog buns
- Desiccated coconut
- Spinach: 2 cups of spinach, 1/2 can coconut milk, salt + pepper
- Pickled onions: sliced red onions, 3 tbsp vinegar, 1 cup water, 2 tsp salt, 2 tbsp sugar
- Pre-make the pickled onions. Add the sliced onions to a bowl with some salt to draw the water out and leave for 5 minutes. Drain the water out and add all the other ingredients. Mix well and leave for at least an hour (can store for up to a week).
- To make the spinach, place in a large oven dish and cover with some coconut milk. Keep layering the spinach up with the milk and salt + pepper it up! Cook in the oven at 180″ for 40 minutes.
- Prepare the hot dogs by slicing the buns, putting the hot-dog in, top with the cooked spinach and pickled onions. YUM.
Vinaka and see you in Finland! M + B