FOOD FOR THOUGHT
The Holy See, a.k.a. Vatican City, is a sovereign entity under the jurisdiction of the Bishop of Rome, a.k.a. the Pope. The Holy See is governed by the Roman Curia which is the central government of the Catholic Church. The diplomatic status of the Holy See is facilitated by the vast network of international charities ran by the Catholic Church out of the Vatican. Indeed, this nation has diplomatic relations with 183 sovereign states around the globe.
The recipe which we chose is not necessarily a Vatican classic, however, these biscuits are a favourite of the current Bishop of Rome – Pope Francis! The biscuits are called Argentinian Alfajores which are sweet, crumbly biscuits sandwiched with dulce de leche. Mwara cooked up a batch of these in an hour or so and they were delicious but warning – they are VERY SUGARY!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp bicarb
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large egg yolks
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 1/2 jar of Dulce De Leche
- desiccated coconut, for decorating
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, bicarb and salt. Set
- Using an electric mixer, beat the sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Then add the egg yolks and combine well.
- Add the vanilla, water and lemon zest and mix until just combined.
- Slowly add in the dry flour mixture, mixing on low speed. Wrap the dough in plastic and chill until firm.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare the baking sheets with baking paper.
- Remove dough from the fridge and roll it out on a floured surface to about ¼ inch thick. Cut the dough with a 2 inch cookie cutter. Then place the cookies on the prepared sheet, leaving space for spreading.
- Bake the cookies for around 9 minutes until they are firm and the edges are pale golden. Transfer the biscuits to a cooling rack and allow them to cool completely before removing from baking sheet.
- Once the cookies have cooled, spread 1 tbsp of dulce de leche onto the back of half the cookies. Then place a second cookie on top to form a sandwich and gently press. Roll the sides with desiccated coconut and REPEAT!
Grazie and see you in Hungary! M + B x